Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Another bites the dust ...

As I continued to regard the pile of flimsies that I have in my UFO pile, I hoped to finish at least one, if not two more before leaving on our epic saga on the Appalachian Trail. Going to the stash cupboard as I so fondly call it, I pulled out the next one on the pile - no pawing through it, just right off the top. Aaaah it was Danny's nappie quilt flimsy, Stairway to Dreams. Started in Colombia, it has remained in the same condition since returning stateside, altho the backing had been bought late last summer - black fleece.

I decided to not sandwich it with batting, just the flimsy and the fleece as it is to be used while napping on the chesterfield inside. Pinning every 4 inches to hold them together, I had forgotten about the inherent quality of fleece sticking to anything. I "stitched in the ditch" around the stairs giving an even checkered appearance on the back. In the border I random FM'd including my label and some cutesie love notes within the random FM'ing. I had wanted to try machine sewing the binding on and thought that I had built in enough fabric when cutting the binding. I hadn't allowed for the fact that my accu-feed 1/4" foot isn't an accurate 1/4",  rather almost 1/3". Normally I have to adjust the needle position to get it. I plumb forgot to do this so I didn't have enough to go over the seam line, just too it. Ended up hand-sewing it after all. But now it is done, and done is done. It is used and enjoyed which to me is the very best compliment anyone can give the giver of a gift like that.

Here it is:

Now on to the wall hanger which is next in line. This one needs to be finished trapunto-ed and then pieced. But wait, what about Miss Chrissy? Yes I need to work on her as well.

Continue to work sporadically on the Craftsy BOM2012. Late is the word as they have already published one for 2013. Not sure if I will even look at it as I have so much to do and so little time left before leaving again. I plan on quilting as I go with the BOM blocks while attempting my hand at FM quilting, learning new motifs and maneuvers.

April BOM blocks:




No comments:

Post a Comment