Friday, March 1, 2013

On the road again ...

... This time we are headed across country to the start of my husband's journey of a lifetime, hiking the Appalachian Trail. I am going to be supporting him in the car so that he only has to carry a daypack while hiking. This means that we will basically live out of the car for the next 6 months, overnighting in a tent, a hostel, or hotel, depending on availability. Follow our escapades through Danny's eyes at:
http://travelinduo.blogspot.com/p/slack-hiking-appalachian-trail.html and through my eyes at:
http://travelinduo.blogspot.com/p/shirleys-view-of-things-on-at.html

The question that I have been receiving, asked with pitying eyes, is "What are you going to do for all that time?" I had decided that I was going to finish Chrissy Cleo, work on the Christmas tablecloth and do some quilting. I also wanted to do some extra classroom work to enhance my future application with Peace Corps. So I happily added these things to the packing list with the hopes that I would be able to get them all in the car.

Several days later, we started to pack: we have a Honda CRV which will have to carry all our camping equipment, clothing, Appalachian Trail paraphernalia, cameras, computers, book to read, and then my crafting stuff. As you can see, it was quite a chore.

all of this --->             

into this --->  


became this --->

 
We did it, but with revisions on my part.

Quilting: I have a small dolly quilt that is a quilt-as-I-go to be finished. I am also carrying a quilt that needs a binding added to it. This is a relatively small one so doesn't take much space but is a little heavier than a fleece would be. Guess we can use it if we need to also. Then a pattern for another for my GD, at her request. Alas, there was no room for my wonderful Miss Betsy Janome 6600P. I was able to put in a rinky-dink child's Kenmore that straight stitches and zigzags and is as noisy as all get out. Still it will work for flimsy making. The cutting board/ironing pad unit fits in the spare tire well and the iron in a small corner by the tire well. Can't you just see me set up and sewing on a picnic table, tent in the background, cooking a stew or something for the incoming hiker and his cronies that he picks up along the trail????

Chrissy Cleo: I am so excited about the prospect of finishing her up first. She sat patiently waiting in the car as we packed:
 
...but her eyes had a twinkle of mischief in them that I had never seen before - almost a snicker. It didn't make any sense as she had never traveled before. So I merrily continued to pack and gingerly laid her on top, in the back, inside a protective bag just before we closed up the hatch. I won't be getting her off to the finisher however as Miss Cleo will remain home in the RV.

I also included a new project that has been languishing in the UFO closet - a baseball ornament for the grandsons. This will be an easy, quick stitch and I will make 2 of them = 2 grandsons who play ball. hmmm the granddaughter also plays softball, guess that means 3 ornaments.

The Christmas tablecloth is one that only gets worked on in the car. It will probably take me a month of Sundays to finish but that is okay. I am cross stitching it on smaller fabric than what was included in the  kit which makes it a little slower going. AM almost finished the first of 6 segments (round table cloth pattern).

Packed up and ready to go, we first had a stop in Longview to pick up a missing parcel and we are off ...




No comments:

Post a Comment